• VS. TOLEDO: Louisville is 1-4 against Toledo in 2012 after losing three of four at Fifth Third Field and dropping the series opener last night at LSF. Last season the Bats went 12-9 against the Mud Hens and 7-3 at Louisville Slugger Field.
• DOT, DIGGITY: The Bats have been outhit in ten of their first 13 games are are 4-6 in those games …Louisville is hitting .225, which is 12th in the league. Last night they raised their avg from .215 to .225 with 13 hits… The Bats’ bats have come to life at home, hitting .275 (46-167) in the first five games of the 11g homestand…They hit just .193 (51-264) in eight games on the road to start the 2012 campaign.
• ON THE MOUND: RHP Chad Reineke makes his second start of the season tonight and will be opposed by LHP Andy Oliver. Reineke has a career 4-2 record and 4.02era against Toledo in 10 starts. He’s also recorded a pair of saves against the Mud Hens. Of his five appearances against TOL in 2011, only one (4/9/11) was at LSF (W, 5.0ip, 4h, 1er, 1bb-5k). Reineke went 9-7 with a 3.84era in 25 games (22 starts) with the Bats last season. He appeared in two games last year with CIN, making one start (5/31 vs. MIL, L, 6.1ip, 5h, 6r-5er, 5bb-2k, 2hr). Reineke was born in Defiance, OH, where he still resides, and played collegiately at Miami University in Oxford. He was inked to a minor league contract on 1/6/12.
• CHANGE OF SCENERY: C Dioner Navarro is 9-11 (.818) with 1hr and 5rbi on the current homestand, playing in three of the five games. On the Bats’ opening eight-game road trip, Navarro played in five contests and went 0-14 at the plate with 2rbi. Navarro is the only switch hitter on the LOU roster and entering 2012 had a career .244avg in majors and .273avg in the minors.
• ON THE CLOCK: Tuesday night’s 9-7 10-inning L vs. TOL lasted 4:08. The game featured five LOU pitchers, six TOL pitchers and 17 walks between them. There were 417 pitches and 101 total plate appearances (4.13 pitches per plate appearance). It is the longest contest the Bats have played this year and the longest since their 13-inning 8-7 L on 6/11/11 at LHV lasted 4:16. The longest Bats contest in 2011 was an 18-inning 7-6 L at ROC on 5/9/11.
• BULLISH PEN: The Bats’ bullpen recorded two victories and three saves in the COL series. In the COL series they combined to throw 20.1 innings and allowed just seven earned runs, good for a 3.10 era. Prior to Monday, in the previous six games the bullpen had thrown 32.1 of a possible 51 innings. Monday night LHP Jeff Francis went six innings, marking the first time that a starter had gone that far since Andrew Brackman did it on 4/9. On the season the Bats’ pen is 3-2 with four saves and a 3.52era. They have allowed just 19er in 56.1ip, while striking out 56 and walking 29. They have inherited 27 runners and just three have scored, good for a clip of .111.
• RISPY BUSINESS: The Bats went 4-for-16 with runners in scoring position yesterday and are 11-for-39 in their last three games. On the season they are hitting .168 (20-119) with RISP through 13 games and have struck out 38 times while producing 34rbi. Eleven of their 20 hits with RISP have come in their last three games. Last year, LOU hit .262 with RISP.
Kristopher Negron CF
Chris Valaika SS
Denis Phipps LF
Neftali Soto 1B
Mike Costanzo 3B
Bill Rhinehart RF
Paul Janish 2B
Felix Perez DH
Corky Miller C
Chad Reineke RHP
Filed Under: Uncategorized
About the Author: