11:05 a.m. start this morning as the Bats look to get back on the winning track. Listen live on 790 WKRD or batsbaseball.com.
• DOT, DIGGITY: The Bats have either outhit or tied in hits in their last three games. Prior to that stretch they had been outhit in 13 of their first 17 games are were 4-9 in those games… Louisville is hitting .230, which is 11th in the league… The Bats hit .258 during their 11g homestand after starting the year with a .193avg on their initial 8g road trip… Danny Dorn’s home run last night was his fourth of the season and his 49th in his LOU career, which ranks 3rd in franchise history…Corky Miller played in his 399th game last night in LOU uniform.
• ON THE MOUND: RHP Brett Tomko makes his fourth start of the season and will be opposed by LHP Kris Johnson. In his last start, he went 5.1 innings allowing six hits and two earned runs and picked up a loss in a 2-1 win versus TOL. After his first start of the season, Tomko was placed on the 7-day DL after suffering from a right abductor spasm. He was activated a week later. He was signed to a minor league deal with Cincinnati on 2/19/12. He debuted with CIN in 1997 and made 89 appearances (79 starts) in three seasons thru 1999 (29-26, 4.53era). Since 1999, he has appeared in ML games with nine other teams (SEA, SD, STL, SF, LAD, KC, OAK, NYY, TEX). In parts of ten seasons, Tomko has a 31-16 record with a 4.68era in Triple-A.
• STATING HIS CASE: Through 20 games, IF Paul Janish currently leads the Bats in several offensive categories. His .338avg, 11r, 23h, 7 2b, 38tb, .559slg and .967ops are all tops on the team. He has hhit safely in 16 of 20 games this season and has put together 7-game hitting streak. Janish started the season in Triple-A this year after starting the previous three seasons with the Reds. In 324 career games with CIN between 2008 and 2011, he holds a .221avg.
• THREE’S A CROWD: For just the third time this season the Bats used three pitchers last night as Andrew Brackman (5.2ip, 5er), Carlos Fisher (1.1ip, 0er), Nick Christiani (1.0ip, 0er). They also used three pitchers in a 2-1 loss to TOL on 4/20 when Brett Tomko (5.1ip, 2er), Josh Judy (2.1ip, 0er) and Ron Mahay (1.1ip, 0er) saw action. The other occurrence when the Bats used just three pitchers was 4/9 at TOL. The Bats defeated the Mud Hens 9-3 as Andrew Brackman went 6.0ip and allowed just 1er on 2h to earn the win. Scott Carroll (2.0ip) and J.J. Hoover (1.0ip, 2er) also appeared in the game. Five times, they have used five pitchers (1-4).
• STEALING BAGS: Through 20g Kristopher Negron has stolen eight bases and has yet to be caught stealing. He is one stolen base shy of IND’s Starling Marte for the IL lead. Last season, his first full season at Triple-A, he stole just 11 bags in 123 games. His career high for stolen bases in a season is 35 in 2010 (Carolina-34, Louisville-1). That season he was caught stealing nine times. He has 158 career stolen bases in his six-plus seasons of minor league baseball.
• 400 MAN: Last night Corky Miller played in his 399th game in a Louisville uniform. When he reaches 408 games played, he will tie Jack Ayer for fifth all-time in LOU franchise history in games played. His 82 doubles in a LOU uniform are tied for third and his 40 home runs rank seventh in franchise history.
Today’s lineup – Negron 6, Valaika 4, Phipps 8, Dorn 9, Soto 3, Costanzo 5, Navarro 2, Jones 7, Tomko 1.
Filed Under: Uncategorized
About the Author: